Home Renovation Tips: Form Ever Follows Function
Categories: Home Renovation Tips | April 3, 2018
You have decided to take the plunge and start your home renovation or new construction project. At Kingston Flooring, we know that choosing new flooring can be intimidating process, but we are here to help you along the way. Kingston Flooring in Abbotsford offers a wide range of flooring options, making it easy to find the perfect fit for your particular space.
What is Form Ever Follows Function?
As an Interior Decorator, the principle of design that I keep foremost in my decision making process, when it comes to choosing new flooring, is that “form ever follows function”. What this means is that you should determine the use and needs of the space in order to ensure that your decisions make sense. Can you imagine a shower with hardwood flooring walls? It would look great visually, until the first time you used it. You can, however, achieve that same look with tile flooring. This is a prime example of form following function.
Things to Consider Before Choosing the Right Flooring
I always suggest to clients that we begin by choosing things that will be changed the least often. In most cases, that is the flooring. Once the flooring is chosen, it will be easy for you to make the rest of the design decisions. In order to choose the right flooring for your particular space, you should ask yourself the following questions:
- How will the space be used (bedroom, family room, den, etc.)?
- How much foot traffic will there be?
- Are there traffic patterns that will show wear?
- Is there an access door leading outside and will water/snow/dirt be tracked inside?
- Is noise reduction an issue?
- Do I need to add thermal insulation to the room?
- What kind of look do I want to achieve (contemporary, rustic, industrial, etc.)?
- What is my overall colour scheme? (While it is a good idea to have a general idea of your colour scheme, getting too specific at this early stage will only make things more difficult for you later on. This is also a good time to tell you that paint colours should be chosen last, not first. There are thousands and thousands of paint colours to choose from, and they can always be tweaked.)
Armed with that information, you are ready to explore your options. You now know whether carpet flooring, tile flooring, vinyl flooring, hardwood flooring, or laminate flooring will work best for you. Stop by and see our flooring experts, who will always be happy to assist you.
Did you know we have a Certified Interior Decorator and Interior Designer on staff? We would love to share our experience with you! If you would like to request an estimate on a specific type of flooring or ask us a question, please visit our Abbotsford location or contact us through our website.